Tuesday, March 18, 2008

She Knows!

Our daughter knew what Dunkin' Donuts was long before she knew about that place called McDonald's!

And even at the ripe old age of two-and-a-half, she has not had the experience of actually entering that fast-food establishment unless it was absolutely necessary. Drive-thrus are my best friend these days. I have been avoiding introducing her to those play places like crazy. If she doesn't know they exist, it won't hurt her. Besides being a slight germ-a-phobe, I don't like the chaos and claustrophobia of it all.

Last week I had the great idea to take her out to lunch inside McDonald's. Unfortunately, Lily spotted the forbidden play area.

"What's that, Mommy?" she exclaimed with her interest piqued. "I see tunnels!"

"Oh, sh#%, Oh sh#%...what do I do?"

Her wise friend, Sophie, who was dining with us let the cat out of the bag. "I go play in there!"

Needless to say, I took her in. What kind of mean mom would I be to tell her tell her "no"? After an entire 60 seconds of panic, crowds and wondering how the heck I'm supposed to watch a sleeping infant in a car seat and an adventuresome two-year-old amongst the throngs of BIG kids, I had enough. She got pulled out, bundled up, and taken to the nearest park.

"Phew...I shouldn't have to do that for a long time. We never even got her shoes off."

WRONG!

From the back seat during my latest drive-thru run (of an entirely different McDonald'd, I might add), I heard..."Mommy, I want to go in there!"

Please don't mention anything about Chuck E. Cheese to her. We're still trying to keep that a secret!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, you're a germ-a-phobe and your daughter has a toilet seat around her neck? You do know that Lily will win this one too...probably sooner than you would like and Jack will be right behind her!

Terri said...

What about Burger King? They have play areas too! I never really liked taking the kids to them but it was a treat for them. You'll learn to like it eventually.
Aunt T.

The Bahns said...

Sorry Sophie spilled the beans about the play area at McD's! If you ever decide to take Lily and Jack again, I would suggest having a cocktail before you go and bring LOTS of hand wipes. You'll be all set!
We were actually thinking about going to Chuck E. Cheese soon...I guess you aren't interested in going, huh?
T

Judi said...

Kennedy had her birthday at Chuck E Cheese and there was plenty of chaos. Way too many little ones for this Gram to try and keep her eyes on. She also loves the McD's play yard and gets mad when you take her to the one in town without a play yard!
Wipes are the only answer!
Aunt Judi

Amanda said...

The cat is out of the bag, and you can never go back.

I HATE those play places too. As a fellow full fledged self admitting germ-a-phobe....BRING GIANT CONTAINERS OF PURELL! And also? Make her change her clothes when you get home. Then later? A Purell bath!