Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Complete

The house was quiet today.


Too quiet.


Jack & I came home from an appointment to an empty house. The kids were at my parents house, therefore...no car seat to carry in, no hats to take off, no complaints to subside, no wishes to grant...right this minute, no noise but our own. (And sadly, no dog to greet.)


Although I could think of a million things to do in a quiet house, I didn't like it.


The commotion and chaos of daily life in our house makes it the home that it is...the home that I love. As much as I complain, I truly love the giggles, the spills, the demands, the cries and the pitter-patter that fills up our days. It makes us who we are. Being a mother and father is the most important thing in the world to us.



It's funny how quick we forget. I used to have a life like this. What did I fill my time with that was so meaningful? I admit that it sounds pathetic to claim that I don't know what I would do with myself all day if I wasn't a mother. I would work, and read for as long as I wanted to, experiment with new recipes, exercise, keep in touch with every single friend, go out for drinks, and take baths all by myself.


But I would trade all of those desires for the life I have this very instant. My heart has doubled in size this year, I get to read stories to someone who thinks the world revolves around me, seeing a chubby smile makes my day, and...I have someone by my side to enjoy all of this with.


As many of you have reminded me, these times go by way too fast. May I enjoy every moment with my little children. They are already growing up before my eyes.


At the risk of sounding corny, my family completes me. And for that, I am grateful.

4 comments:

The Bahns said...

Well stated...and I agree completely! The very few times I have the house completely to myself, I often feel very lost and lonely. It's times like these that make us truly appreciate our children (and the frequent "chaos" that accompanies them). I agree with you in that I wouldn't have it any other way either! I'll be over to visit you in about an hour...as soon as I finish exercising...yeah right!
Tanya

Anonymous said...

I may not have any kids, but I still think the place is quiet when nothing is going on. It's no fun doing things on your own anymore. And as much as I love to read, I could fall asleep on the couch after 5 minutes!
So you're not alone. The people around us, especially family, make us who we are. I'm with you that I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Jeff and Leadon said...

I spend my time wishing for alone time. Jeff keeps telling me to get a babysitter...but the problem is I don't want to leave the house... I want to be home alone. I finally had alone time at home and I was lost... didn't know what to do, and spent my time clock watching and waiting for the return of my family... I agree completly we always want what we can't have and when we get it is's not that great!

Amanda said...

Okay...that made me cry. I forget sometimes (in all the crazy) that this busy life is brief and the sassy 3 year old will turn into a even sassier teenager, and the drooly gummy smiles will not be around for long. I will remember to enjoy these moments more than I usually do.