Saturday, August 23, 2008

Back to Work



I traded in my Crocs this week for work shoes...and my feet hurt...and I'm tired...and all that other good stuff. Here's what I have to say about summer's bittersweet end.


Dear Lily & Jack,

Summer came to a quick halt as I returned to work earlier this week, and I hate it! I hate feeling tired, I hate that the house is messier and more unorganized than it was in June, and I hate leaving you two all day!


There were days you made me cry, days I waited impatiently for your dad's quitting time phone call to signal that help was on the way, and days I needed a drink real bad. Although this has been the most un-restful summer I can remember, I terribly miss being with you during the day.


Lily...you consumed oodles of my time and patience with your uncharacteristically moody and often-whiny self. You are close to turning three, and enjoy testing your boundaries relentlessly. But,...you are officially potty-trained (yeah!), I got to witness your already stellar vocabulary and imagination at work, we took lovely walks to the fountain for the sheer delight of penny-tossing, and you danced and rode your bike, and danced some more.


Jack...you woke me up before the sun rose, and demanded 100% attention as you experienced separation anxiety, cried yourself to sleep, cut your first tooth, and became mobile enough to explore uncharted territory. But,...your smile alone is a cure-all for the crabbiest of moods, your new words and babbles made me laugh, and I got to witness for my self your first crawls (many of which were up staircases), your desire to stand up all by yourself, your self-taught clapping, your first successful attempts at cruising along the couch, and your love of being in the pool.


I have enjoyed our days of "all being home together" more than you know, especially now that the two of you are playing together! But, I need to work...for money, and more importantly, for self-fulfillment and posterity. May you know how much you are missed, and may you enjoy every precious minute spent with your Nani.

Love,

Mama

5 comments:

The Bahns said...

Well said! I'd say you had a very fun and special summer. We will miss our weekday playdates, but hopefully we can find evenings to get together.
T

Jeff and Leadon said...

Oh my gosh, it is so sad:( I am beside myself, so much that I can't even call you to talk about it. I feel your pain. We will be at your party for sure, can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Is it okay if I'm crabby and tired and I didn't have the summer off? Glad you had a great summer with lots of pics to show for it!

Daniel & Jennifer said...

Wow, this summer just flew by. I hope your school year goes just as fast! Only 4 months until Christmas break! :)

Amanda said...

Enjoy the school year, and summer will be here before you know it! Miss you!