Monday, August 1, 2011

August. A Matter of Perspective.

If someone told me they had 18 days of vacation from work, I would be so happy for them (and slightly jealous, too). Whoa! You could get a lot done/have so much fun in that amount of time.

So, why, with 18 whole days left of summer vacation, do I feel, umph, glum?!

a) because I am a procrastinator, and I still have lots of things I want to do left.
b) because I still feel like I did when I was a kid. Going back to school isn't easy on those teachers either!
c) because I am spoiled. There. I said it. I love my summers, and I hate to see them go. I get one whole season every year to be a stay-at-home-mother.
d) nowadays, returning to school = milestones for my kids. They are growing up too fast. This is the first year that Lily and Jack will both be in school!
e) And, finally, I LIKE drinking my coffee without a time limit and I LIKE not worrying about whether or not I have something clean to wear to work in the morning!

That being said, I do like going to work, being a social adult, making a tiny difference in this world, and having some alone time away from my kids. So...here's to having the best of both worlds, and making the best of what is left!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely put!

Shannon said...

Well said, Mic! You work hard for your summers off :)

Christine said...

Enjoy your final days! Hopefully you can cross "catching up with favorite cousin" off your list :)