Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Lesson in Patience

I have made HUNDREDS of cakes in my adult life...HUNDREDS! And if my grandma and mom instilled any baking lesson in me, it's don't touch a cake until it's cooled.

I, however, have been known to sneak a bite/cookie/taste when it's always way too hot (and may even eat a whole row of steaming brownies...shhhhh).

Today the kids made a devil's food birthday cake for Grandma Susie. The good kind, too. The kind with pudding, milk, FOUR eggs, sour cream, and chocolate chips inside.


It appeared to have come out of the oven perfect.

But, my impatience got the best of me. I knew I couldn't have a slice...I just wanted to see the darned cake. The fact that it wouldn't come out of the Bundt pan didn't phase me. I shook, and shook and shook until...PLOP. The steaming chocolate crumbled out of the pan in a flop of a mess.



As if I didn't know better. Bummer!
Now what?
We're having a trifle for dessert.


5 comments:

Terri said...

I think that happens to us all at one time or another, I'm sure Grandma Susie appreciated the effort.

Christine said...

I'm sure it tasted good either way :) Sounds like something I would do!

Judi said...

Add a scoop of ice cream and viola you have a delicious warm/creamy dessert!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a bird that got shot right in the middle

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Grandma Betty didn't pinch you or something. Maybe that was her way of teaching you a lesson! I'm sure it still tasted great.